Monday, April 7, 2008

Green is the best color

GO GREEN! Before this cluster I had never really thought about going green, but now that I've received all this information I think I should. From what I hear though it does sound a little difficult. I think that at my home my family has gradually been going green without even noticing. One example is that we now use florescent light bulbs, not because we found out that they were better for the environment. We switched to florescent because my dad heard that they save you money on your electric bill. But what I think really helps is that we barely have the lights on. I think my family could go nocturnal if we wanted too. We also always turn off the home computer when not in use.

It has also been a very long time since since we've had the need to go purchase batteries. Duracell? I haven't heard heard that word in such a long time. The only thing I believe that still runs on those types of batteries in my home are the remote controls for the T.V. and stereo. Still though, they a last a really long time. Remote controls don't use up too much energy. My dad also really likes plants. I think thats great. But sometimes i think he goes overboard. There are times when i feel like i'm in a jungle. We all use the train or bus to get to our destinations, except for one uncle of mine who almost always prefers to pay more for a cab. My family does recycle as most does everyone. I hope everyone does cause you get fined if you don't. Gotta separate garbage and stuff. All the kitchen stuff is metal, no plastic.

after looking for info on a greener world here are some things I think should definitely be considered to make the world greenr

-legal DVD/CD manufacturers should take some tips from the bootleg competitors and just sell their cds without the hard cover case.
-you know what? forget cds. The year is 2008! We have mp3, mp4 and lot of other untouchable formats in which we could view media.
-we should only use elevators if we really have to. Elevators use electricity too. Not only are the stairs the healthier route but many times also the faster one. If you race the elevator down you usually win. I'm not too sure you'll win going up without running.
-Cars. Don't use them unless you really have to. Use the train or bus. Walk or ride a bike to your destination. Ride a donkey if you have to, just leave cars as a last resort. And if you really have to use a car, try riding a hybrid.
-No paper. Less writing and more typing. Yes to more e-mails, and text messages. No to paper signatures. No to paper receipts. Yes to typing your credit card number on your computer. Yes to typing in your social security as well. Yes to identity theft. OK so maybe no paper isn't possible in our near future, but we should try to use less of it.
-Always try to go for solar powered gadgets and lets try to make more items solar powered. Almost all calculators are now solar powered. Lets try solar powered remote controls, leaf blowers, microwave ovens, flashlights, electric toys and anything else we can think of. And when there is no sun then we can always go to wind power. And when there is no wind or sun we humans can always figure something out, we just have to try.
-I also think that we should stop buying those super expensive products that come covered with so much material that is not neccesary. Has anyone ever seen those Pepperidge farm cookies? Those things are not only expensive but they come in paper bags with foil inside and inside of that the cookies are located in these little tiny paper trays. This is a waist of material. I assume that what most people really want are the cookies, not the bag or foil or tray.

Hey a greener world is just better. It looks better, smells better, tastes better and just overall feels better. So lets do the Dr. Smith thing and try to "go green". Even if we can't go green all the way we could still do little stuff like not litter. If we do change the world now and make it better we'll be able to tell our kids and grand kids some highly exaggerated stories just like our parents told us. And remember to tell them you had to walk uphill from and to school.

No comments: