Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rainy Day Spent At the Library

The weather did not agree with us on our trip to the NYPL last Friday. Nick, Jorge, Helen, Hema, Dino and I walked into the library with a sense of insecurity. We stood there for a while not knowing what to, before we gained the courage to continue. I honestly thought the library was bigger, I mean it was big, I just thought that since the building looked huge from the outside I kind of expected bigger rooms with ceilings of a much higher altitude. As soon as we walked in I had this feeling we were being watched. This was true. At the moment we were the only group of college students walking around. I noticed how some other visitors stared at us, expecting us to cause a riot or drop a shelf full of books. I think there were times when we were a bit too loud. Especially Helen. :)

Anyway, we took our own personal tour of the library. First we went to the first floor, obviously, then we went to the second floor, then back to the first floor, then once again to the second floor, then to the third, we made a quick stop at the second again thanks to the elevator, and finally we left via the first floor.

We spent a major part of our time on the third floor. This is where we really explored the material. We were asked to leave some of our belongings behind. As the curious and adventurous students that we are we immediately started to touch everything our hands could. There was some material though that we were not allowed to touch. A kind and pleasant old dude told us in the most polite way to stop touching after he noticed we were turning on an instrument.

Overall it was an interesting experience to say the least. As we left, the weather continued to disagree with us. I caught a minor cold which added more pressure to what I later would a call a very bad weekend. We walked to the subway. I walked a little quicker than the rest of my exploration team since I was the only one without an umbrella at the moment. We entered the subway and we took separate ways.

No comments: