Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Cave Allegory

I am writing this blog in the middle of my ENG class while Dr. Smith is speaking. I know that what he is saying is very important but since I have to regulary have to post something and it is part of my grade and since I haven't posted for about 11 days I should do it now. Sorry Dr. Smith if you are reading this. I did pay some attention though, I'm pretty good at multi-tasking.

I somewhat mentioned the allegory of the cave in my last post. The allegory of the cave has alot to do with the matrix. This allegory tells of two persons stuck in a cave with their backs against the exit. They have been here ever since birth. With their backs facing the light that is emanated from the sun, they only see the wall and the shadows of anything that passes between them and the sun. Time passes and both of these persons grow up believing this true life. Finally after years of living like this one person is set free. This person turns and walks out of the cave. The truth is realized. Should this person go back and free the still stranded partner? Would the escapee be doing the stranded one a favor?

This allegory was used by Plato, the greek philosopher. Wow Plato did alot of work in the academics. Thanks to him we have advanced so much. Thanks to him I have to post this blog. He pretty weird I think, alot like that Noam Chomsky guy. But maybe they are cool, cause weird people are cool.

1 comment:

C. Jason Smith said...

SO . . . we learned that posting at the last minute is not the best idea? If you are going to post while I am talking, try posting a week ahead. Youi might have more to say that way. ;)