Monday, March 24, 2008

Gnosticisisim-can't even spell it right.

OK this is one difficult topic to discuss mainly because I don't think I understand it. I looked it up on wikipedia but it that's where all the confusion started. So I decided to Google it and check out other sites. Little luck. This gnostic thing is confusing. What I do understand is this.
Gnosticism comes from the word gnosis meaning to know. Gnosticism started out based on Greek philosophy. Gnosticism teaches that matter is evil. Also like many religions it claims that there is one divine superior being. There are also other divine superior beings, including an evil one known as the demiurge, but they are not as divine as the main one. Gnosticism was a big hit during the second and third century. It was well known probably because it accepted and complied with most other religions.
Gnosticism is a lot like allegory of the cave. Gnosticism claims that we live in a material world that is a prison, much like the cave and the matrix. The bodies we travel in are material or matter, therefore considered a bad thing. In this world we cannot be saved unless we obtain knowledge of some sort. I don't understand if Gnosticism is a religion or a religious movement. Wikipedia calls it a religious movement. It seems to have all the properties of a religion.
I'm certain the makers of the matrix looked into gnosticism before the movie was made. The comparisons are numerous. I just wish I could find some aside from the one where we live in a controlled prison. In the matrix, the allegory and gnosticism, knowledge is the key to one's freedom or salvation.
OK so if we were to put all three together gnosticism, the matrix, the allegory I think it would be something like this. We are all living in a material world that is evil yet we do not know it. We are trapped here. There is a good god and an evil god(which would be the remaining humans not attached to the matrix and the AI) Only by obtaining the knowledge can we be set free. When we see the sun we realize the truth, but in gnosticism we already know the truth that we are living in a caged world. They contradict.
Gnosticism is getting me pissed now. So confusing. It is similar to the matrix and allegory cause it says we live in a world that is a prison. We are trapped. According to Gnosticism the world is our matrix and our cave.
This is it. It tried and now my eyes are starting to feel weird. Probably because I'm not used to staring at the computer screen for so long. If I miraculously get an idea I'll post it up some other time.

5 comments:

(((Hema))) said...

Wow, cheers to you Noel! I was highly confused myself and you helped clearify a few blurrs about Gnostiscism. Like when you said, "According to Gnostiscism the world is our Matrix and our cave" i was looking at it from each story singly but yeah, it makes sense that way.

Btw, thx for the post on my vid^-^

Dino said...

Good to see I'm not the only one that failed at this...

siren said...

i loved ur blog. u r brutally honest and i like that u voice ur opinions and confusion about all this knowledge shit. it is slightly confusing when they all merge together. i feel u dude.

nick said...

I found that researching Gnosticism was difficult to. It was hard to understand completely but what I did understand is that it is similar to mostly every religion because it states that there is good and evil which is in every religion and it is similar to the matrix and allegory because it says that we all live in a world that is a prison and We are trapped.I like how you said that according to Gnosticism the world is our matrix and our cave.

C. Jason Smith said...

That pain you feel us what we call "thinking." ;P